The best vegan queso is made with a blend of roasted vegetables, nutritional yeast, and cashews. It’s easy to make and so delicious that you’ll never miss the cheese! So whether you’re following paleo, whole-30 or vegan this creamy and delicious dairy-free queso will be your new favorite treat.
What is Vegan Queso?
Vegan queso is a cheese dip made without dairy products. It can be made with various ingredients, but the most common are cashews, nutritional yeast, and salsa or tomatoes.
Cashews are a popular base for vegan queso because they are creamy and have a mild flavor. Nutritional yeast is also often used because it has a cheesy flavor and contains B vitamins. Salsa or tomatoes are used to add flavor and texture to the queso.
There are many variations of vegan queso, so you can customize it to your liking. You can add in different spices, such as chili powder or cumin, or use different types of salsa or tomatoes. You can also experiment with different types.
Why We Love Vegan Queso
- This vegan queso tastes so much like real queso you will be so pleasantly surprised.
- It is so easy to make! all you have to do is blend and heat and your vegan queso is ready in 10 minutes.
- This vegan queso is low calorie and low carb so you can eat as much as you want!
- Be sure to make a big batch! This vegan queso will last for 5 days in your fridge. If you need to thin out your queso add a splash of almond milk when you rehat it.
Ingredients for Vegan Queso
Cashew Cream– The rich and indulgent cashew cream makes this recipe what it is. The subtle flavor doesn’t make you feel like you’re eating coconut cashew queso.
Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast that has a cheesy flavor. It’s important to include it in queso unless you don’t want the cheese flavor.
Step By Step to Make Vegan Queso
This queso is easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients. First, combine all ingredients except for the pickled jalapeños and the can of tomatoes and chiles in a blender and blend until smooth.
If your blender doesn’t heat up the queso, you’ll need to transfer it to a saucepan and heat it up on the stove. Next, you’ll stir in the tomatoes and jalapenos and top with cilantro garnish before serving with crunchy tortilla chips.
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 Tbs of Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp tapioca starch
- 1 (15 ounces) can of diced tomatoes and green chiles, such as Rotel
- 1/4 cup of chopped pickled jalapeños
- Cilantro, for garnish
1. Add the cashews, vegetable broth, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt to a high-speed blender. Blend until very smooth. If your blender doesn’t heat up
Expert Chef Tips
- This recipe for vegan queso features tapioca starch as an optional ingredient, which gives the cheese a gooier texture.
- If you don’t have a high-speed blender, like a Vitamix, that’s okay! You can still make this vegan queso by soaking your cashews overnight in hot water. This will help them blend more easily. After blending pour the queso into a saucepan and heat it up over medium-low heat.