This is a spicy ramen recipe that only takes 15 minutes to make and uses a soy-ginger broth. The perfect lunch, this dish can be topped with soft boiled eggs, green onions, nori or chicken, pork or tofu.
Ramen hack your way to delicious restaurant-style ramen in just fifteen minutes! With an easy soy-ginger broth and customizable toppings of your choice (chicken, pork, tofu, or even gluten-free noodles), this meal is perfect for any occasion.
Read More: Authentic Tom Kha Gai Soup
The History of Ramen
Ramen is a Japanese noodle dish that is often served as comfort food. It is made from wheat noodles and usually has a pork or chicken broth, as well as some type of meat or seafood. Ramen can also be made with a vegetarian broth. It is oftentimes topped with green onions, boiled eggs, and naruto, which are fish cakes.
There are many different types of ramen, but the most common is soy sauce-based ramen. There are also miso ramen, shoyu ramen, and tonkotsu ramen, which are all made with different broths and seasonings. Ramen can also be made more spicy or flavorful by adding various toppings and seasoning.
For this spicy ramen bowl we are using miso paste, nori, sambal oelek, and togarashi for very traditional ramen flavors. Don’t be intimidated you can easily find these ingredients at your local grocery store.
We believe that soft-boiled eggs are a delicious way to prepare eggs. There are many ways to make ramen, but this particular recipe uses ginger, garlic, and miso to add flavor. The broth is also simmered with soy sauce, sesame oil, and vinegar to give it a nice flavor.
The noodles are cooked until they are soft, then divided evenly between two bowls. The eggs are then boiled for three minutes and added to the bowls of noodles. The soup is then garnished with scallions, black sesame seeds, and nori.
Get creative and top your Ramen both with different proteins such as pork, chicken, beef or tofu. Also, use any vegetable you wish.
Spicy Rmaen Ingredients
- 5 Cups Chicken or Veggie Brother
- 1 Cup Water
- Piece of Ginger
- 3 Crushed Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tbs Miso Paste
- 2 Tbs Sambal Oelek
- 3 Tbs Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbs Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbs Rice Wine Vinegar
- Ramen Noodles
- Soft boiled eggs cut in half
- Sesame Seeds/Togarashi
- Chicken, Pork, Beef or Vegetables
Steps to Make Spicy Ramen
- Cook your eggs now or make them ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to use. (See notes on some tips on how to make the perfect soft-boiled eggs.)
- The ingredients you will need for this recipe are: broth, ginger, garlic, miso paste, sambal oelek sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and vinegar.
- First bring the broth and other ingredients to a boil in a pan then reduce heat letting it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Next add dried noodles cooking them till they are soft then using tongs divide evenly between 2 bowls.
- Finally top with halved boiled eggs scallions black sesame seeds or togarashi pepper flakes and nori seaweed sheet
History Behind the Ingredients
Miso paste is a traditional Japanese seasoning that has a savory flavor. It’s made from fermented soybeans, salt, and kōji (a mold used in making soy sauce, sake, and other foods).
Sambal oelek is an Indonesian chili sauce or paste. Some of the ingredients in sambal include ginger, rice vinegar, garlic and lime juice. We love the spicu kick of flavor that it gives the ramen.
Nori means “sea vegetable” in Japanese and it is edible seaweed usually sold in sheets which can be found at most grocery stores. If you are fan of sushi you would have tasted nori before.
Shichimi togarashi is a seasoning blend made from 7 spices including, red chili peppers Japanese peppers orange peel sesame, ginger, and more.
Expert Chef Tips and Tricks
There are three ways to cook soft-boiled eggs perfectly:
1. Boiling water for 6-7 minutes,
2. Cooking them in an Instant Pot for 1 minute at low pressure and then doing a quick release.
3. Use an air fryer at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 7-9 minutes. No matter which method you choose, make sure to place the boiled eggs in a bowl of ice water immediately after they’re done cooking.
As for vegan ramen, vegetable broth can be used as a replacement for chicken broth, and leaving out the eggs makes it possible to have this dish without any animal products. If desired, tofu can also be added into the mix.”